Friday, October 29, 2010

Diaphanous English I ( English by the Sea )


Diaphanous English I ( English by the Sea ) L. Edgar Otto

In this series of blogs I am setting down a resource for certain conventions of English both as a teaching aid and review of my own use of the language. In matters of logic and linguistic theory I will explore "pre-interglossa" ideas of the time, the beginning of the 1900's before WWII. We shall consider also the claims of English as a World language. Part of the discussion will also consider the evolution of the language in the age of the internet (in particular the hypertext linking of terms and new future possibilities for it).

English by the Sea

1. Four Principles of Language circa 1927
2. A list of transition phrases in sentence construction. (which I will post here today)

Note: From time to time I have found and here hope to review dusty old books and for this post I searched google and found the book to cite on Amazon: I notice this material is listed on the internet as copyrighted and hope that this academic treatment does not overstep some boundary (but really, who owns our genome or our language? Who can patent the sphere?) This excerpt saves me typing from an original volume (although I was going to merge it with other related developments referred to in the Loom of Language and Interglossa. I am really taking a stance of archeology here to try to preserve books that have been influential for me and valuable and do indeed interact with our changing language The four principles express this program as well this sort of collection of words and that is found in the preface (which is not listed in the following excerpt:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8yC85XMtsyIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Modern+Word+Finder&source=bl&ots=xUMEksUdzM&sig=cMSkwSZwFKGcAb1Vvxzo4rqOxPI&hl=en&ei=B_XKTIqkLo2qnget39XvDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false )



For the Linguistic professor, Sultan Ratrout, I will post the preface in photos and the transition phrases- but I will have to check copyrights and so on before I can continue this research and blog using this reference of works by those with thoughts on language and English.

* * *
I decided to email preface for educational purposes... I note also that in Project Gutenberg some of the criticism involved lack of original prefaces and change of the original works hard to authenticate.

And looking on wiki for Zane Gray I post this:
“The lure of the sea is some strange magic that makes men love what they fear. The solitude of the desert is more intimate than that of the sea. Death on the shifting barren sands seems less insupportable to the imagination than death out on the boundless ocean, in the awful, windy emptiness. Man’s bones yearn for dust."

“The so-called civilization of man and his works shall perish from the earth, while the shifting sands, the red looming walls, the purple sage, and the towering monuments, the cast brooding range show no perceptible change."

Zane Grey (quotes from Wikipedia, among many with similar sentiments I would have chosen, and I post here because of the influence reading many of his novels of late, on this blogspot)

* * *

Creation anyone? And just how does a black hole lavaverse work?


http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101020084149.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090605091856.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment